Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Saving Mooolah

Look at this guy.  He just wants you to save money and live within your means, thats not too much to ask is it?? It's not. So do it.

Whoa, sorry, I still had my bossy pants on.  Let me change real quick.


Ok, were good.  Let's talk saving money.
Turns out, saving money is less saving, and more not spending.  And that's precisely why its so darn difficult.  I have recently gotten much better at it, so I will share my small discoveries with you, so maybe you can get this adorable cow off your case.

A) Get on Mint.com.  I'm all about using your resources, and this guy, he is your best friend.  My brother-in-law brought mint into my life, and let me tell you, it will never be the same.  Mint connects with your bank account (super safe, pinky promise) and analyzes your spending in a way us normal people can understand.  It pulls up a pie-chart so you can see where your money is going.  Fancy!
Next, set some budgets based on past purchases.  And actually pay attention to them.  As of right now, I have $9 left for groceries, and I still have a week left of this month.  PEANUT BUTTER IT IS THEN!
That may seem rough, but having a fast-food budget really helped this college kid.  Download the app on your smart phone and keep an even closer eye on your budget.  And if you are goal-oriented, you will freaking pee your pants with excitement when you stay in the green each month.

This is Future Sarah.  Nice teeth.
B) Get motivated. Go take a look at the debts in your life. Scare yourself into obedience.  Or if you are debt-free (you lucky-ducky you) find something you want, then start working towards it.  I am planning on purchasing my car from my parents when I graduate in a year, and I would like to be able to not work like a dog during the school year.  This has lead me to saving all my money to take some of the worry off future Sarah.  In my head, future Sarah never has enough money and is really stressed out, so I try to give her a break as often as possible.

If you aren't someone who is motivated by easing future worries, you need to take a good look at what motivates you.  In my case, it's avoiding living on the streets, but that may not freak you out.  Just take a moment, find a motivational tool, try it out, and find a new one if it didn't work very well.  If at first you don't succeed.....

C) Say this with me, "I don't need that."  Because you really really don't.  When you are looking for food or shopping for clothes, really ask yourself if you can live without.  Chances are, you can make do without it.  Wanna know some ways I save money while still staying pretty? Of course you do!!

I use this actual stuff.  Smells awesome.

  • I use baby shampoo as eye-makeup remover.  It cost me $2, is suupper gentle, and gets the gunk off better than most removers.  Try it, you wont regret it.
  • I was apprehensive at first, but washing your face wtih Oatmeal is a stinking brilliant idea.  My little sister was the one to encourage putting food on my face, and I thought she was crazy.  Crazy smart maybe.  I wash my face with oats every single night and have beautiful soft skin to prove it.  And it costs me close to nothing, which is much cheaper than the $10 face was I was buying.  Compromise!!
  • Stop washing your hair every day.  You don't need to.  It's actually bad for your hair.  Give it two weeks of washing your hair every other day, and your scalp will stop producing so much oil.  I get mucho compliments on my mane, and I go 3-4 days without washing it.  And you will get creative with those locks out of necessity.  Doubly positive!  If you want extra hipster points, trying washing your hair with Baking-Soda.  Double dog dare you.
  • Minimizing how much makeup I wear reaaaally helps with the ol' budget.  I stick to foundation (bareminerals), a little eyeshadow, eyeliner, and mascara as I run out the door.  And only buy what you KNOW looks good, and for everything else, try it at the store, do research, and talk to friends before you buy.  Hint: if you buy makeup at Wal-Mart, and you don't like it, RETURN IT.  Even opened hair products and mascara.  They have always given me my money back, so give it a try!
D) Next time you are about to buy something, calculate how many hours you had to work to pay for it. Would you be ok with working 2 hours in exchange for that cute dress?  If so, go for it dude! Otherwise, find a better use for your hard-earned money.

E) Pack a lunch homeboy. Sandwhiches  are cheap, easy, and relatively healthy.  Stash em' in gladware in the fridge so you can grab them in a hurry.  Maybe grab some fruit or yogurt to go with it.  Maybe.  Depends on how risky you are feeling.  

I will most likely be adding more to this list of ways I save money, but for now, thats all she wrote.

This isn't even kind of relevant.  You're welcome.

Keep on keepin' on!

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant.
    Love hearing from a college student that's not super focused on how to party at all times. YOLO? Really though. You live every single darn day..why to help out future Sarah. I think I'll be her friend too.

    ReplyDelete